Sunday, February 10, 2013

A level house with new floor joists and sub floor . . .

Unfortunately, the front sill of the house rested on the ground for a very long time.  The floor joists in the front part of the house were in very bad shape. They were so deteriorated that the wood floor was resting on dirt.  There were holes where the wood had given way, and the entire floor was badly damaged.  We had to replace all the front floor joists and lay a new subfloor.  We also leveled the house to be even with the fireplace.    By Thanksgiving 2012, the floor was complete, and we can now walk through the house, on solid footing.  Later we will lay a new (old wood) heart pine floor.  Here is a series of pictures from before, during, and after.













2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's really great to see that this house was made level again! I just bought a really old house, and the foundation is a bit off, so the house is not level anymore. This will be difficult to deal with when I am putting in furniture, so I will probably work on getting something like this done. About how long did it take to finish the whole process? http://norrisfoundationrepair.com/Floor-Leveling/

Cheri and John said...

Hi Julie, I apologize for not sending you a reply. I just saw your comment on an older post! To answer your question, I would say the entire foundation project was around 6 months. I know that seems long, but it was a labor intensive project, having to dig out ground soil 3 feet, place the house on stacked wood, and then install a block foundation. I'm not sure what type of foundation you have, but we had none. I would suggest contacting a local builder or foundation expert to help you assess the condition of your foundation. However, I think that unlevel floors, if not too bad and if the house is sound, offer a great deal of charm! Good luck with your house!

Post a Comment